Re: a way to switch from SGML based to PO based translation?

Hi,

From: Jens Seidel
Subject: Re: a way to switch from SGML based to PO based translation?
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 13:01:43 +0200

> On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 11:53:42AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > On Tuesday 03 April 2007 11:47, Eddy Petrișor wrote:
> > > I have that for 1.155, how do I proceed?, just revert the english
> > > version to 1.155 and try again to update-po?
> >
> > man po4a-gettextize

Yes.  You should use English 1.155 if your translation is against that
revision.  Also, you should read a section named "HOWTO convert a
pre-existing translation to po4a?" in the po4a(7)[1].

> >From the Japanese CVS log of release-notes.ja.po:
>
> 1.1:
> Generated release-notes.ja.po from release-notes.ja.sgml with following
> command:
> po4a-gettextize -v -f sgml -m ../en/release-notes.en.sgml \
>   -l release-notes.ja.sgml -L euc-jp -p release-notes.ja.po.tmp \
>   -o ignore-inclusion="dynamicdata shareddata" 2> /dev/null \
>   && iconv -f EUC-JP -t UTF-8 release-notes.ja.po.tmp \
>   | sed -e "s/euc-jp/utf-8/" | msgattrib --clear-fuzzy >
> release-notes.ja.po
>
> 1.2: (optional)
> Tweaked spaces by such as deleting superfluous spaces inserted by
> po4a-gettextize into where newline marks originally were.  This change is
> only for appearance, not for translations, by Noritada Kobayashi.

Thank you for citing my switch log, Jens. :-)

My procedure was:

(1) Tried po4a-gettextize until the conversion successed.  Please read
    po4a-gettextize(1)[2] to know what the command line options above
    mean, and po4a(7)[1] to know what to do.

(2) Corrected encoding.

(3) Checked roughly whether the conversion really have successed.

(3) Since all the translations were marked as fuzzy after the
    conversion, defuzzified all the entries automatically.

(4) Checked more and tweaked whitespace.

(5) Enjoyed po4a life. :-)

[1] http://po4a.alioth.debian.org/en/man7/po4a.7.html
[2] http://po4a.alioth.debian.org/en/man1/po4a-gettextize.1.html

Thanks,