Re: Please unblock mysql-dfsg-5.0 5.0.32-6 <- ABI problems!

On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 11:12 +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Yeah, I was considering this and I understand that very short delays
> may be a problem for these translators. In that specific case, the
> changes are *very* minor (Developer's Reference writing style
> compliance) and, for instance for French, I just unfuzzied one string
> and compelted the other one with "and previous versions".

I appreciate your hard and daily work, but my observations show that
quite some of the members of our (Dutch) team work on their translations
on concentrated moments, e.g. in a weekend.

However small the changes are, having to respond instantly breaks this
efficient system where you bundle related work. Furthermore we use a
review system, which prevents a "correct and send back instantly"
approach, meaning that a simple change still requires action from the
translator at at least two times (when procedure is limited to only an
LCFC, otherwise more).

The recommendations in the devref are useful, but are not more than
"tweaks" which have no place in a freeze.

The next release cycle should have this in the release policy: a freeze
exception is not granted for any package changing strings, except only
when this demonstratably fixes an important issue, or the maintainer can
show that he/she's also gotten a reasonable number of translations fixed
in that same upload aswell.

Thijs