Re: debconf PO translations for the package emdebian-tools

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:04:12 +0100
Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:

> (CC'ed as you may not be subscribed to -i18n)

Thanks, I'm not subscribed.

> > I would like to know if some of you would be interested in
> > translating the debconf templates for the next version
> > emdebian-tools, v0.0.4.
>
> Thanks for taking care to give us an opportunity to send new
> translations for your package. It's very much appreciated.

No problem, although your reply is evidence that I should have put more
content into that email. I'm not usually guilty of being insufficiently
verbose. Sorry.

I did mention that this was for the next version, not the version
currently in NEW.

> I use this opportunity to suggest some minor improvements to such
> calls for translations:
>
> - why not post a call for new translations *before* uploading the
> package to NEW?

The simplest reason is that v0.0.3 in NEW does not use debconf and has
no translation support!

:-)

The scripts within v0.0.3 output the barest minimum of output and
unless the user specifies --verbose --verbose, most messages come
directly from other programs called by the scripts. The tools are
designed to be all but silent and actively suppress non-essential
output from other programs where possible. This is because the package
tries to cross-build packages and building any package produces quite
enough output, cross-building it adds some more and there is no need to
add yet more.

Developments within emdebian-tools during the wait has led to a need
to use debconf for v0.0.4 which is currently taking shape in SVN.

>That would allow you to have a solid bunch of
> translations since the beginning...and, moreover, that would avoid
> breaking the magic 100% for some of us..:-)

I know what you mean, but there is no danger of that in this case. I'm
not expecting the templates file to change between now and upload of
v.0.0.4 but I will repeat the call if any changes become necessary.

> - giving a dealine is much appreciated by translators. It allows us to
> organize our work and deal with priorities. Of course, here, you
> constrained by the unknown time needed to process your package in NEW
> but, anyway, giving something reasonable like 7-10 days would be good.

The constraint is nothing to do with v0.0.3 in NEW, but on development
of v0.0.4 in SVN. I can't give you a deadline there, although I can say
that v0.0.4 is not likely to be ready within 7-10 days.

> Can you give us at least a rough ideas of such deadline?

It's very rough, but 10-14 days would provide enough time to complete
testing and make a few more bug fixes before uploading v0.0.4 a few
days after that - if v0.0.3 is not out of NEW by then, 0.0.4 will just
have to replace it in the queue.

--

Neil Williams