Re: Description translations

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 12:14:02PM +0200, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> I recently read a piece about translations of debian descriptions.
> Appearantly this is all done without the maintainers even knowing about it.
> This is very nice if the maintainer doesn't want to spend time on the
> translations.
>
> However, many packages have an upstream translation team.  I think it would be
> very useful if those people could translate the Debian description as well.
> After all, they know the package, and they know how certain words are
> translated inside the program: consistency would be nice there.  Also, it
> would take some load off the Debian translators, which can then do other
> translations, resulting in more translated descriptions. :-)
>
> So my question is: How can I ask my upstream translators to translate the
> Debian description as well (this isn't so strange, because the debian/ dir is
> part of upstream svn repository (but not of distribution tarballs))?  The
> package I have in mind is pioneers.  It uses gettext.  Is it possible to make
> the Debian descriptions part of the po files?  I suppose not, as they
> shouldn't be in the mo files of the package...

No, please don't put this in the po files of the package. This will
not work.

I don't think it is very useful if the upstream translate the package
description. The package description is for the end user. If a normal
translator don't understand the description, the description have a
bug.

But you / the upstream can, if you like:
  get the translation template from the ddtp-server
  (e.g. http://ddtp.debian.net/ddt.cgi?desc_id=24998&getuntrans=de )

  Translate the <trans> part(s) and send the file as mail attatchment
  to pdesc@ddtp.debian.net

> Ps: I'm not subscribed, so please CC me on replies.

ok

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
'Ich bin nicht auf der Welt, um so zu sein wie andere mich gerne hätten!'