L10N howtos? D-I Manual

Hello all :)

In the Debian Installer Manual file random-bits.po, there is a string:
_____________
po:129
auto:	⑤	Tag: para
Original: ⌘0 To configure your locale settings to use a language other than English, install the locales support package and configure it: <informalexample><screen>\n
# apt-get install locales\n
# dpkg-reconfigure locales\n
</screen></informalexample> NOTE: Apt must be configured beforehand by creating a sources.list and running apt-get update. Before using locales with character sets other than ASCII or latin1, please consult the appropriate localization HOWTO.

How is the user to know which HOWTO s/he should consult? Where are they? Do I need to prepare one for my language?

Sorry if this is something everybody should know: evidently I don't. ;)

Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me. :)