Re: translating via an intermediate language

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 14:03 +0200, Bruno Haible wrote:
> Dwayne Bailey wrote:
> > > The syntax for a mixed PO file could like this:
> > >
> > >   msgid "Hello, world!"
> > >   msgid[ru] "Здравствуй, мир!"
> > >   msgstr "Chào thế giới !"
> >
> > these are the issues I see:
> >
> > * Plurals - mentioned already
>
> I can reduce the number of plural forms to 2, by choosing for the
> "singular" the one with n = 1 and for "plural" the one which is chosen
> most often for n -> ∞.

Would it not be a better options to have

msgid[0][ru]
msgid[1][ru]
etc

So that the proper plurals are indeed there?

> > * fuzziness - if [ru] is fuzzy do you merge it or leave it out and how
> > do you differentiate from [ru] fuzziness or fuzziness that relates to
> > the target language.
>
> If the Russian message translation is fuzzy, I don't store it in the
> PO file. First the Russian translator has to make a correct translation,
> then only it makes sense that other translators see it.
>
> A message in the mixed PO file can become fuzzy if the msgid changed,
> but also if the msgid[ru] changed while the msgid stayed the same.
> The Vietnamese translator can distinguish these two cases (i.e. know
> whether the English has changed, or the Russian one, or both) by looking
> at the previous msgids.
>
> "Previous msgids" will be a new feature in gettext 0.15.1. Quoting the
> NEWS file:

Excellent :)

I'll need to play with this a bit to see how it works.  The same
mechanism could be used to store previous msgstr for review purposes.

--
Dwayne Bailey
Translate.org.za

+27-12-460-1095 (w)