Re: [Translation-i18n] [translate-pootle] gettext with non-en source language

Jean-Christophe Helary schrieb:
> There is tremendous localization activity in African countries (not
> limited to South Africa) and other developer-poor areas. See Javier
> Sola's work in Cambodia. Of course, people who work on localization
> create pools of users and developers who do not need to communicate
> in English. Do you see a lot of Chinese developers on the net
> expressing themselves in English ? If you do are they not only the
> tip of an "iceberg" of Chinese only (or close) developers who do not
> feel the need to share with English only (or close) developers ?

This is more-and-more getting off-topic. However, I see no problem
with the gettext documentation (which is written in English) stating
that msgids should be English (or a language close to it, like
Computer English :-). Users which can't understand English won't
see that recommendation. Users which understand and disagree are free
to write their own alternative recommendations, in a language more
likely adequate for their audience.

Regards,
Martin