Re: new netcfg translations from Ubuntu

On 30/08/2006, at 3:02 PM, Christian Perrier wrote:

Why not have the Ubuntu-specific strings *in D-I SVN* so that they're
merged into the main Debian PO file (or, alternatively in a separate
file to allow translators who are Ubuntu-allergic to avoid working on
them....but this would mean extra work right now to change our
infrastructure).

Doing so would:

-avoid translation of these in Rosetta by Ubuntu i18n people with no
guarantee of consistency

-save a lot of work to Colin Watson

-avoid the problem we're talking about right now when Ubuntu-specific
strings come into Debian

This could even be extended to other CDD, of course.

Approximately how many strings, and in which files would they be merged?

I don't think we are likely to worry about a few added strings when translating, but any large number of strings might be better off in a separate file, or in more than one separate file, to avoid any single file becoming intimidatingly large.

It would certainly help to integrate these strings into D-I, so we can assure their consistency in vocabulary and quality with the main translation.