Re: Debian traduction team should work on Xt applications localization too

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 02:11:29AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Xt applications (like xfig, gv, xterm, ...) are currently not localized,
> while software support is already there, the traduction team just needs

s/traduction/translation/ ????

> to work on translating labels in /etc/X11/app-defaults.
>
> For instance, the attached files are the ones that the xterm
> package should put in /etc/X11/fr_FR@euro/app-defaults/ for
> French localization (some UTF-8 versions should also be put into
> /etc/X11/fr_FR.UTF-8/app-defaults/)

Could you please comment on the following:

* X resource files do not only contain user visible strings but also
  widget geometries, orientations, ... and other stuff.
  Translating such file would duplicate some information.
* What are the differences between resource file translations and using
  gettext? I know that the gettext approach would require to add some
  more code such as explicitly setting the button text via XtSetArgs
  in the code but allows automatic encoding mapping from the PO file
  encoding to the encoding used by Xt. Other (dis-)/advantages?
* Are you sure that UTF-8 is supported????? I thought Xt applications
  are only capable to handle 8 bit characters.

Since I currently work on a Motif application I would really like to
know more facts about translations of such (ancient?) applications.

PS: I will forward this request to the German team. Expect first
translations soon.

Jens