Re: DDTSS screws out non-breaking spaces

(moving this to the ML....guessing that you won't mind)

Quoting Martijn van Oosterhout (kleptog@gmail.com):
> On 8/22/06, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hmm, it's certainly not intentional. What character is it exactly
> >(Unicode char number) and how can you type it, because as you can see
> >below, it didn't make it to my email. I can then test to see what
> >happens...
>
> Ok, I think it's the character you get when you type "compose space
> space". My testing shows that it's the browser that's not sending it
> and sending a space instead. Whats worse, my testing shows that if you
> type a non-breaking space into a textfield, it behaves properly in the
> text field, but if javascript code tries to look for it, it gets told
> it's character code 32 (normal space).
>
> And just to cap it all off, if you from javascript try to add a
> non-breaking space to a string, that works, but if you try to store
> that string into a textarea, all the non-breaking spaces get converted
> to normal spaces.
>
> What exactly do you use them for? Maybe I can get the server to put
> them in for you?

We use them in French before all punctuation signs that have to be
prepended or followed by a space: colon, question mark, guillemets,
exclamation mark, etc.

This theoretically allows to avoid wrapping to occur at the
punctuation sign like this:

blah blah blahblah blah blahblah blah blahblah blah blahblah blah blah
:

instead of

blah blah blahblah blah blahblah blah blahblah blah blahblah blah blah :