Re: Input support for Vietnamese

Thankyou to you both for your replies. :)

On 05/08/2006, at 8:34 PM, Frans Pop wrote:

On Saturday 05 August 2006 09:57, Clytie Siddall wrote:
Meanwhile, how do we integrate our "depends on" input methods into
the Debian Install process?

The easiest way is to include the packages you need in the Vietnamese
desktop task. This task already exists, but currently only contains
openoffice.org-l10n-vi.
File a wishlist bug against package tasksel to request additions.

Christian then said:

Well, the packages need first to be built, which has not been done
yet, afai have understood.

Exactly. My colleague has offered to build the packages for us. Should he go ahead and do that? Is there any specific procedure he should follow?

Note that this only solves input problems _after_ the installation. If
there are also problems _during_ the installation, we'll need to fix
those in the installer.

The people who've tested the installer have run it on systems which already have the this special input software. :(

But I would imagine it would affect the installation, if at any point the user has to input text. Hopefully display will be OK. The screenshots in Dejavu from a non-Vietnamese user were ugly but did show the characters mostly displaying. Dejavu has improved a bit since then.

BTW, my colleague has also reminded me about a package of Vietnamese fonts which is GPL ! [1] It's called URWVN. How do we go about including these fonts in the Vietnamese task? The fonts are available in .tar.gz form, so would also need to be packaged. Shall I ask my colleague to package them too (before he realizes how much work I'm giving him and disappears :D ) ?

For both you'll have to be pretty quick as we're getting closer and closer
to the release of Etch.

Again, it's a great pity I can't get a Debian-user co-translator. I can't anticipate these problems, because my OS doesn't have them. :(

[1] http://freshmeat.net/projects/urwvn/