translating debian menu items?

Hi,

I'm packaging[1] khmerconverter[2] for debian. As it contains a GUI app,
I would like to put it on the Debian Menu. Since it is a Khmer related
application, I would like to have a Khmer translation for the menu item,
which happens to be conveniently located on the upstream website[3]. Is
there a way to do this? The documentation in the menu package doesn't
help much. I know it is possible with .desktop files, but I'd like to
add the translation to the Debian menu too.

     1. http://bugs.debian.org/333331
     2. http://www.khmeros.info/drupal/?q=en/download/converter
     3. http://www.khmeros.info/drupal/?q=km/download/converter

--