Re: Translation of toppler

On 08/06/2006, at 6:13 PM, Bill Allombert wrote:

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 02:20:32PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
On 07/06/2006, at 6:32 AM, Bill Allombert wrote:

To check whether your language can be supported:

The full set of glyph available is at
<http://people.debian.org/~ballombe/misc/font_mask.png>.
While upstream is quite ready to add new glyphs, only a limited
number of them can be added.

Vietnamese would require a lot of additional glyphs (mostly combined
diacritics), so it looks like we're out of the picture for now.

I am not sure it will be sufficient, but upstream has already added more
diacritics. The new set of glyphs is available at the same URL:

<http://people.debian.org/~ballombe/misc/font_mask.png>

Unfortunately, we need 134 glyphs. :(

Ours is a tonal language, like Chinese, but written in a Roman alphabet. We have 12 vowels, each with six possible tonal states. This results in combined diacritics that make Vietnamese a test case for Unicode support. Only very large Unicode fonts, or Unicode fonts created for Vietnamese, cover our glyph set.

For example, although your font contains the e circumflex character, it doesn't contain the five other ways we write that character:

ê	e circumflex
ề	e circumflex and grave
ể	e circumflex and hook above
ễ	e circumflex and tilde