Re: [translate-pootle] Wordforge

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 02:08 +0300, Gintautas Miliauskas wrote:

<snip>

> We discussed the separation of pootle's backend from the frontend as a
> viable short-term goal.  We also talked about many more things, from
> available technologies to architectural issues.
>
> Aigars promised me Subversion access to pootle's repository where I
> could create a branch and work on it.  While I don't yet have code to
> commit, I have been trying to get the gist of what you have and I would
> like to commit some documentation notes on the current implementation.

Might be best to run you branch from Pootle CVS on SourceForge as it
will allow easier syncing of your work with changes in HEAD.  If you
feel up to migrating us to SVN lets chat.

> It would also help to learn of the plans of the other pootle developers:
> if a major architectural restructurisation is underway, that would
> quickly render my branch obsolete. I saw a roadmap on the Wordforge
> website. Are things moving in Pootle as fast as expected?  Aigars
> mentioned some sort of a new push with extensive class hierarchy
> charts, but I could not find them on the website.  Could anyone point
> me in the right direction?

As the others have mentioned, yes, we are doing 2 major restructure:

1) base classing of our convertor classes and Pootle
2) Locking

Some of this does affect backend separation.

There of course is lots of work, but I understand that yours needs to be
quite independent.  We have been discussing the concept of change queues
which relates to locking ie we don't want to step on someone else's
change if for some reason you had yours out for too long.  Queues would
also allow us to create a distributed environment. This direction could
be the most fruitful for your work.

But as the others have said #pootle is a good place to ask.

--
Dwayne Bailey
Translate.org.za

+27-12-460-1095 (w)