Re: Google summer of code: i18n infrastructure

"cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)" <cobaco@skolelinux.no> (15/05/2006):
> On Monday 15 May 2006 16:01, Thomas Huriaux wrote:
> > Do you mean something like this?
>
> >  $ dl10ndebconf
> >                               _______________________
> >  _____________________________|_____po-debconf______|
> > [...]
> >  |TOTAL (assume BTS = 1; fr)  |99.6%|  8614/17/11   |
> >  |____________________________|_____|_______________|
> >
> > If yes, see the debian-l10n project on alioth.
>
> yep, that's exactly what I meant, but it needs to be on the debian.org/intl
> pages:
>
> We currently have sections there
> 1) Packages with po-debconf support and for which translation is underway
> 2) Packages with po-debconf support and for which translation is done
> 3) Packages with po-debconf support and for which translation is to do
>
> Should become (IMHO):
> 1) Packages with po-debconf support for which the translation needs an
>    update: everything with partial translation that isn't being worked on.
>    Mark with RFU (request for update) date (automaticaly when one is send
>    out by podebonf-report-po?).
> 2) Packages with po-debconf support and for which translation is underway:
>    everything that's in RFR or LCFC state
> 3) Packages with po-debconf support and for which translation is done:
>    done in package and done in BTS (with indication of which is which)
> 4) Packages with po-debconf support and for which translation is to do

There has been such a page (at least for French) a long time ago, but it
no longer exists:
http://web.archive.org/web/20041124094735/http://graal.ens-lyon.fr/~mquinson/debian/po-debconf.fr.html

To add this page to the website should not be a coding problem, IMO. We
just need to unify the database formats used between different language
teams (and that is a problem :-))

> > > [1] http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po-debconf/nl or
> > >     http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po/nl mostly, though the latter has
> > >     mostly non-debian-specific stuff
> >
> > You have an "Upstream:" field in the database used to generate these
> > pages, based on the presence of a diff in the source package and the
> > presence of a dash in the version. This can be easily used by dl10n-txt
> > (see the --debian (no diff, no dash) or the --diff-only (no diff)
> > options).
> > However, with these criteria, wxwidgets is a debian-specific package
> > while aptitude isn't, but these are exceptions.
>
> right I see 3 classes of apps here:
> 1) debian stuff (apt, dpkg, ... i.e. Debian is upstream), is probably in
>    debian-native packages (not sure if this is generally true)
>   -> primary target for translation by Debian l10n teams
> 2) no upstream translation team
>   -> secondary target for translation by Debian l10n teams, leave alone
>      untill debian-specific stuff is done.
> 3) upstream has a translation team (KDE, Gnome, ...)
>   -> shouldn't be touched directly by Debian, integrate any work with
>      upstream translation team

I agree, this is what we (the French team) are doing.

> So: 1 = no diff, no dash
>     2 ~= no diff (upstream team might not have gotten to specific component
>          yet so only aproximate)

Hmm no, this one is a mistake (there is a lintian warning for this kind
of upload, the only good reason I see to have no diff but a dash are
brutal repackaging).
One of the solution would be to have a manually generated database that
contains all the may-be-translated-when-you-have-time packages.

>     3 ~= diff

Cheers,

--
Thomas Huriaux