Applying to be DD (was: Re: Rewording of NM-corner (WAS: Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006)

On 06/04/2006, at 2:10 AM, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:

http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint

Below is my attempt at rewording the Introductionary page of the NM corner
to make it clearer that non-mainter contributors can apply to NM.

Thankyou to Bart for his work on this page. It certainly is much clearer. I would still like to see mention of the fact that only DDs can vote, since that is my entire motivation in (today) applying to become a DD. I wouldn't be doing it otherwise. I wonder how many people would vote in a useful manner, and don't have the time to go through NM. I still think we are losing useful participants here.

However, since I have now seen it abundantly stated that a translator can become a DD, I have decided to apply. Christian is a DD, and he's certainly an excellent model to follow.

My application will be an interesting test case, since I have demonstrated that I am a consistent and productive translator, but I no longer have the skills to write code or maintain packages [1]. I have been lucky in that my brain still works for translation (although I have lost most of my other languages), and that I have been able to contribute. This means a great deal to me.

So I will never become a maintainer. This makes mine a test case for the pure translator as DD.

Since this concerns other translators, I will report back here (in summary ;) ) about the progress of my application. I state up front that I have no problem with being rejected through any fault of my own. However, I expect my merits as a project contributor to be recognized as strenuously. Unless I do something really silly, or turn out to be someone else doing large and consistent amounts of translation throughout OSS for some nefarious purpose, I believe that my case will establish if the average hard-working translator can become DD, and thus gain the ability to vote in Debian elections.

A following mail will summarize the steps I have to take today. Stay tuned: grab the popcorn. ;)

[1] due to brain damage from long-term illness