Re: Quick impressions of Rossetta

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>
> Quoting MJ Ray (mjr@phonecoop.coop):
> > Is Rosetta free software yet?
>
> No. But (guessing that a secret *real* question is hidden behind your
> public question) that does not prevent us to show interest for it, as
> the official word from Ubuntu is that it will/could become free "at
> some moment in the future".

The official word from LPI is that xamnet will be free at
some moment in the future. It's been years. Vapourware

> Forgive me if there was no secret question behind yours, of course,
> but, ahem, I have some doubts..:)

No, there wasn't: I was only curious whether it was still vapour.
I wasn't going to lay into it, but seeing as you've made such a
spirited defence, I'd best make an attack to help save face:

[...]
> If Rosetta ever becomes free, then it will become one of the
> alternatives we have for Debian i18n infrastructure and we'd better be
> ready for it *before*.

If Rosetta never becomes free, any work reviewing it or
getting "ready for it" would have been better spent on another
system. Working for it based on will-be-free vapour is foolish.

Hope that explains,
--
MJR/slef
Laux nur mia opinio: vidu http://people.debian.org/~mjr/