Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On 2006/04/05, at 20:53, Frans Pop wrote:

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 13:14, JC Helary wrote:
I am not sure what point you are trying to make ?

The point I'm trying to make is that it seems like translators are waiting for the mountain to come to them (change procedures, make entry easier).
It does not work like that: you have to go to the mountain.

There is no need to change any procedure. Only to clarify the wording of
http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint

So that the text does not unnecessarily discriminate between maintaining packages and contributing in other forms.

Such non-discrimination is hinted in the text itself and in the application steps. It is only that the document is not worded in a way that present the necessary information the right way.

Besides, the systematic use of "developer" is also confusing and to clarify things should be replaced my "member" as is also hinted in the same document.

I have no doubt that a rewording of the document would clarify a lot of (non) issues and help members as well as other contributors to see what the structure of the project really is.

What I mean is that as there are currently no pure "translation DDs",
there is no need to differentiate between "rights". It would only
_potentially_ become a problem when there are more than a few people
accepted as DD who do not have formally proven skills in packaging.

Considering the above status, I don't see how having pure translators or pure documentation writers could be considered a "problem".

People who need upload rights because their contribution pattern requires upload right must have upload rights when deemed responsible enough.

People who have no need for upload rights _and_ who never intend to do anything related to packaging should not be discrinated against and should not be given upload rights since their contribution pattern does not require so.

There are provisions for different skill tests and from that should follow different access to different tools.

Jean-Christophe Helary