Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 13:14, JC Helary wrote:
> I am not sure what point you are trying to make ?

The point I'm trying to make is that it seems like translators are waiting
for the mountain to come to them (change procedures, make entry easier).
It does not work like that: you have to go to the mountain.

> About the specific item you mention above (develop a strategy to
> "deal" with translators), I think that is _specifically_ what non
> package maintaining contributors want: to be "dealt" with.

What I mean is that as there are currently no pure "translation DDs",
there is no need to differentiate between "rights". It would only
_potentially_ become a problem when there are more than a few people
accepted as DD who do not have formally proven skills in packaging.

As always, it is much more likely that some kind of "rights" split will be
made when and if it becomes necessary, than that procedures and
infrastructure are changed beforehand.

Personally I now make quite heavy use of my upload "rights", not only for
the installer but also for occasional NMUs for other packages. Of course
I'm very careful that I double check the changes I make and I'm a long
way from being confident enough to start a package from scratch.
One part of the DD process is to check if people are responsible, aware of
their own limitations and willing and able to check documentation or ask
for help when they reach those limits in their work.

Once you are a DD, your commitment to the project will probably make sure
you don't abuse the infrastructure and there probably will be no real
need to differentiate between how people became a DD.
Also, even "real packagers" foul up sometimes...

Conclusion: there is no need to "deal" with anything; translators that
want to become DD should just apply. If during or after their NM process
it is discovered that adaptations are needed, it will happen
automatically (especially if "translation DDs" themselves become involved
in the NM process as AMs for other translators).