Re: A couple of installation manual translation PO/XML questions

2005-12-25 (일), 15:49 +1030, Clytie Siddall 쓰시길:

> > 2005-12-24 (토), 20:11 +1030, Clytie Siddall 쓰시길:
> >
> >> 1. When I see a string like:
> >>
> >> &d-i; home page
> >>
> >> and I realize that "d-i" is going to mean nothing to my community,
> >> can I translate that abbreviation and simply allocate the & to
> >> another letter? Or is it a literal?
> >
> > They are XML entities.  &d-i; will be replaced with "debian-installer"
> > and &debian; is "Debian GNU/Linux".  You can't translate such
> > entities.
> >
> > But in some communities it's better to "translate" them (in a
> > different
> > script for example).  See #344048.
>
> Thanks for the explanation. Although Vietnamese uses a Roman script,
> I'd certainly be in favour of translating these entities: "debian-
> installer" is meaningless to someone who doesn't speak English.

Well if you read the manual, you will see "debian-installer" is being
used to indicate a package name or a program command name.  I'm not sure
if you want to translate all of "base-config", "tasksel", "tzsetup",
"aptitude", ...   :)

--
Changwoo Ryu <cwryu@debian.org>