Re: Work on a centralized infrastructure for i18n/l10n

On 22/12/2005, at 5:32 AM, Christian Perrier wrote:

Yep. What you describe is a situation where PO is the central common
format that's used on the central infrastructure. This means that all
automation/updateness checking tools that exist for handling PO files
can be used on the central system to manage the data presented to
users (users here==translators).

This does not prevent us to propose translators to get the translation
material in whichever format they would like to use....this is what I
understand from your above scheme.

Especially when we have such excellent format-conversion tools available: po4a, XLIFF2PO, and the csv, html, mozilla etc. conversion scripts in the Translate Toolkit. One aspect of our interface could be a the option to download/upload your file in your preferred format, which would then be converted as required.

I've already done this with Pootle: I had a manpage for translation, asked Pootle to use po4a to convert it to PO form, translated it on Pootle, which then converted the file back to the (n)roff format. That feature could be integrated into the interface.