Re: Albanian language

On Πέμπτη 03 Νοέμβριος 2005 16:23, anakreonmejdi@yahoo.gr wrote:
> Perhaps this is not the right list for the question.
> I hope is not totally off-topic.
> What I need to know is how to configure the keyboard
> so I can write albanian.
> I tried the following line in the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "us,el,sq"
> Greek and english works but albanian doesn't.

Hi Anakreon,
  in order to use all 3 keymaps, first you have to enable locale
support for Albanian:

dpkg-reconfigure locales

make sure you enable sq_AL..UTF-8 (ISO-8859-1 as well if you want, but
UTF-8 is a *must*).

Then you can change the X keymap like you have, but don't use 'sq',
but 'al'. I just did a test on my system and it seemed to work
(though I can't say for sure, as I cannot read or write Albanian.)

So here's the setup I used:

	Option	"XkbModel"	"pc105"
	Option	"XkbLayout"	"us,el,al"
	Option	"XkbOptions	"grp:alt_shift_toggle"

in order to switch between keymaps using alt+shift. Come to think of
it, this setup is not included in localization-config. Adding it.

> I need to be able to write albanian in emacs.
> Perhaps I need to install some fonts for this.

I don't think that's necessary, a normal font that support ISO-8859-15
(like the bitstream fonts or the freefonts) should be fine.

Hope that helped.

Konstantinos