A couple of installation manual translation PO/XML questions

Thanks to all three of you for your helpful replies. :)

On Sat, Dec 24, 2005, Clytie Siddall wrote:
&d-i; home page

and I realize that "d-i" is going to mean nothing to my community,
can I translate that abbreviation and simply allocate the & to
another letter? Or is it a literal?

As far as I know, this is an entity, that is to say it is refering to
something else defined at the beginning of the document or in the DTD.

eg:   is the entity meaning non-breakable space

Ah, thankyou. I should have recognized the format, from writing html. Definitely my brain is out to lunch (or Christmas dinner, today ;) ).

Please refer to the license in <xref linkend=\"appendix-gpl\"/>.

again, "appendix-gpl" (if it is shown) won't mean anything to my
users. Can I insert a translation like thus:

<xref linkend=\"appendix-gpl\"/>Ph??? l???c v??? Quy???n Công Chung
GNU</xref>

Here, I think the xref will be replaced by a link with the title you
gave to this appendix (when you translate it later).

if I am not wrong.

Good luck,
--
adn
Mohammed Adnène Trojette

I see. That's a time-saver, too. Thanks. :)

2005-12-24 (토), 20:11 +1030, Clytie Siddall 쓰시길:

1. When I see a string like:

&d-i; home page

and I realize that "d-i" is going to mean nothing to my community,
can I translate that abbreviation and simply allocate the & to
another letter? Or is it a literal?

They are XML entities.  &d-i; will be replaced with "debian-installer"
and &debian; is "Debian GNU/Linux". You can't translate such entities.

But in some communities it's better to "translate" them (in a different
script for example).  See #344048.

Thanks for the explanation. Although Vietnamese uses a Roman script, I'd certainly be in favour of translating these entities: "debian- installer" is meaningless to someone who doesn't speak English.

--
Changwoo Ryu <cwryu@debian.org>