Committing D-I manual files

I'm only just getting back to trying to use Subversion etc., so sorry if this is a dumb question.

I have translated one or two of the D-I manual PO files, and wanted to commit the translations. I had created:

/manual/po/vi/

in my

/Vietnamese/Main Projects/Debian

directory. I set "manual" as the Subversion root of the file: is that right?

I also tried "Debian" as the root.

Neither worked: Subversion said:
_____
### Sunday, 25 December 2005 11:13:15 PM

Retrieving Revision Status

subversion/libsvn_wc/lock.c:376: (apr_err=155007)
svn: '/Users/clytie/Vietnamese/Main Projects/Debian/manual' is not a working copy
_____

and the same for "Debian". I have successfully submitted Debian files in the past (although not recently, and I may have become confused). My Gnome CVS is working fine.

Is there a manual/po/vi directory on server?