Re: A couple of installation manual translation PO/XML questions

On Sat, Dec 24, 2005, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> &d-i; home page
>
> and I realize that "d-i" is going to mean nothing to my community,
> can I translate that abbreviation and simply allocate the & to
> another letter? Or is it a literal?

As far as I know, this is an entity, that is to say it is refering to
something else defined at the beginning of the document or in the DTD.

eg:   is the entity meaning non-breakable space

> Please refer to the license in <xref linkend=\"appendix-gpl\"/>.
>
> again, "appendix-gpl" (if it is shown) won't mean anything to my
> users. Can I insert a translation like thus:
>
> <xref linkend=\"appendix-gpl\"/>Ph??? l???c v??? Quy???n Công Chung
> GNU</xref>

Here, I think the xref will be replaced by a link with the title you
gave to this appendix (when you translate it later).

For example in a French html generated file, it is automatically replaced by
if I am not wrong.

Good luck,
--
adn