A couple of installation manual translation PO/XML questions

Hi everybody :)

I've just started translating the installation manual, so I want to check I'm doing the right thing.

These two questions are really about format and variables.

1. When I see a string like:

&d-i; home page

and I realize that "d-i" is going to mean nothing to my community, can I translate that abbreviation and simply allocate the & to another letter? Or is it a literal?

2. In this string:

Please refer to the license in <xref linkend=\"appendix-gpl\"/>.

again, "appendix-gpl" (if it is shown) won't mean anything to my users. Can I insert a translation like thus:

<xref linkend=\"appendix-gpl\"/>Phụ lục về Quyền Công Chung GNU</xref>

?

Thanks for sharing your experience on these issues.