Re: Work on a centralized infrastructure for i18n/l10n

All this funny debate about standards should not prevent us from
forgetting of of the main rules in Free Software:

- "show me the code, luke"
- "most of the choices are done by those who are doing the work"

In short, up to now, I have seen the Debian i18n community converging
towards solutions it (the community) feels appropriate for our
problems. Up to now, this scheme has proven to be working and,
contrary to what seems suggested in previous mails, more translation
resources are coming to enlarge the Debian i18n community.

We maybe can do better with another approach, but if noone comes up
with early implementations, nothing will ever happen and things will
remain rethorical debates.

I remember a discussion at Solutions Linux with another famous
contributor of the French l10n community. He was asking me when we
would drop our basic scheme to handle translation/review/validation
processes in out mailing list. He was calling this process "very basic
and inefficient".

However, this inadequate process has currently lead to out team being
the top ranked for WWW, debconf, Debian specific programs
translation. Yet another proof of this golden rule: the best tools are
those that are used to do the work..:-)

As a conclusion, I personnally have no objection to the new (for us)
work methods and tools you're promoting, but I'd like to see
implementations in the Debian context first.