Re: Invitation to a i18n work session in Extremadura, Spain, September 2006

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 07:15:55PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Hello,
Hi,

[please CC me, I'm not subscribed to debian-i18n]

[..]
> I am under the feeling that such an i18n meeting would largely benefit
> from your presence. For various reasons, I have assumed you are more
> or less involved in Debian i18n, or you are a key person for these
> areas, for various reasons.
>
> So, at first, I would like to know whether you could attend such
> meeting and if you feel you have some role to play in it.
[..]

I would be interessted as long as it is on some kind of weekend so
that I don't have to spend much vacation on it (I have very little of
this). Spending a friday and/or monday is ok.

Otherwise I'm happy to contribute and discuss the apt-ddtp
effort. From my perspective (the apt bits) a lot is done already, the
code is in apt/experimental, some (basic) tools to convert from/to
 pot<->Packages file(s)
 po<->apt-translation file(s)
are written, we have support in aptitude (thanks to the fantastic
Daniel) and support in synaptic as well.

apt-ddtp needs testing and a plattform that makes translations of the
package descriptions easy. I personally would love to see rosetta used
for this (at least until a other plattform is available). It's kind of
frustrating for me to see that the code is in apt and a plattform is
available (with unpublished code, but the content is all in a open
format and freely available to anyone) but we can't move forward and
offering the new features to our users.

We will also need to discuss with the ftp-masters how the updated
translation files can enter the archive. Currently the archive dosn't
carry translations so the apt-ddtp feature is hardly tested at all.

Cheers,
 Michael