Distributed translation (was: Re: Icelandic activity

CC Pootle list.

On 04/11/2005, at 5:08 AM, David Geirsson wrote:

After some dull time it seems there is interest in the Icelandic
translation after all. debian-user-icelandic has been abuzz with
interested parties, and the plan is to meet monday night and translate
some more of level1.

Is there a list of .po files that make up level1.po? I have to split it up into manageable chunks to give to people, that I can then merge into
the main file. I'll work on it this weekend, but it'd be nice to have
any pointers.

Another possibility for anyone who wants to divide up a large file, or distribute the translating task over a file, series of files or project, is to use Pootle [1].

You can install your own Pootle offline (e.g. a translatathon where Internet connection is unreliable) or online (e.g. the BitTorrent Pootle [2]), or you can use the main Pootle site [3]. All you need to do is register, and ask on the mailing list [4] about setting up projects and adding files.

Among other things, it simplifies the task for new translators, or people who don't have much time: log in, enter a translation and press Submit. Nothing else required. :) The interface is configurable.

Pootle is open-source, and has a very supportive community.

[1], [3] http://pootle.wordforge.org/
[2] http://translate.bittorrent.com/home/