Re: comments/string changes and issues with dpkg's messages

Quoting Eddy Petrisor (eddy.petrisor@gmail.com):
> Hello,
>
> As I have said in at a previous time, I have started working on adding
> comments in the dpkg code, in order to add automatic comments to the
> translatable strings.

WONDERFUL.

If you can do it on your own TLA branch, that'd be great. See Scott's
wonderful explanations about arch/tla/baz at http://www.dpkg.org

> 2) in some languages forms like "3 installed packages", "1 installed package"
> and "6 installed packages" need three different forms for the word

ngettext is what you need as others explained.

> 3) in some cases the messages are so cryptical that rephrasing them would be a
> much better solution than adding automatic comments:

Rephrase...

> Solutions:
> a) change the messages
>  consequnce:
>   -  translations will be fuzzied; many translators will cuss at me
>   +  messages will be easier to translate
>   +  no more changes will be necessary later
>   +  messages will be easy to understand for regular Joes (although they will
>      probably won't be able to do anything with the resulted info

Do this. We are at a moiment in the devel cycle where breaking
translaiton is not *that* a problem. After all, working with broken
strings is our daily life..:-)

More seriously, even if I sometimes have to slow down upstream by
requesting not changing strings too often, when a string is broken, it
has to be fixed, whether or not it breaks the translations.

> 4) the best packaging practices states that the program should not "speak
> as a person"; impersonal messages are preffered.
>
> this is what I have found, at a glance:
> "...like what you want, and you can `reject' my suggestions by using the
> capital..." - there shouldn't be "my sugestions"
> =>
> "and you can `reject' the suggestions by using the capital"

Yes, also. Throw out these "amateur-style" messages. There is NO
REASON to use first person in a computer program.