Re: [D-I] Vietnamese soon to be added as supported Debian Installer language

On 01/07/2005, at 2:26 PM, Christian Perrier wrote:

In order to prepare the "gates opening day" where all currently
"prospective" languages will be released to the D-I archive, I will
preliminarily remove Vietnamese from the "prospective" languages list.

YAYY!!!!!

<dances wildly around the room and throws confetti>

I just love being a prospectively non-prospective language. :D

This means that, at the next synchronisation script run, ALL D-I
PACKAGES will receive a Vietnamese translation file).

Then, as soon as one of these packages will be uploaded to the
archive, it will be translated in Vietnamese and D-I will slowly be
more and more translated to this language.

OK, impact on chronically-confused Vietnamese translator: does this mean there are files with greater translation priority than debconf (where I have translated from A-N, currently part-way through files beginning with O)? Do I need to keep an eye on different pages for D- I files? Is there anything in D-I levels that hasn't been translated yet into my language, that I should translate?

The same action will take place on July 14th for ALL REMAINING
prospective languages which have a translation ratio over 50%, if
nothing bad shows up after the initial test.

Good luck to all prospective languages!

The impact of an additionnal language on the initrd size has been
estimated already (I can't find the msg where I sent this though and
no archives handy).

I read it: it had both informative and entertainment value. :)

The impact on memory requirements has not been, mostly because of
manpower shortage..:-). So, we'll see....I keep the option of removing
an extra language in case this breaks D-I too hard.

Don't want to break D-I. :(

PS : why Vietnamese? This is indeed the oldest "prospective"
language.

We're an old culture. I'm feeling pretty old myself, today. My eldest is turning 26 this year.

Following on the list are mg (Malagasy...however I've lost
contact with the translator) and mk (Macedonian, with strong
translation team).

You really shouldn't lose translators. The first one might be accidental, but after that, it's carelessness. I suggest you microchip them on registration. (Do you remember where you left this translator? Maybe you just put him down somewhere...)

Good luck to the Macedonian and Tagalog teams, and all other prospective languages!!

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc