Re: wishful thinking?

Quoting Clytie Siddall (clytie@riverland.net.au):
> Hi guys :)

And girls, maybe..:-)

> > Linux kernel modules needed to drive some of your hardware are not
> >available
> > yet. Simply proceeding with the install may make these modules
> >available
> > later.
>
> How would proceeding with the install make those modules available
> later? Are we talking an esoteric voting system that calls home,
> wishful thinking or simple megalomania?
>
> I really need to understand the cause before being able to translate
> the string properly. Not all languages are as comfortable with the
> implied (and in this case frankly mysterious) passive expression as
> English is.

The hardware recognition step in D-I is a multiple step procedure.

The order depends on the media used for installing (floppy, cdrom, network
boot, etc.).

So, for instance, on "netboot" installs, the system recognizes and
setup the network card as soon as possible. This gives more possible
methods to access hardware "drivers" (modules), so, as written, at
some moments, the install process will have recognized some hardware,
"know" what modules are to be loaded, but is lacking methods to access
them (for instance, if modules are to be loaded from a floppy
disk...and the floppy driver module is not yet loaded).

The screen you mention is shown  a few times (depends on install type)
during "expert" installs. It is never shown on default installs with
usual media such as a CD-ROM, for instance.

So, yes, the idea you have to give is that the installer "knows" about
the found hardware and the needed module, does not have access to it
yet but will maybe have access to it later in some manner.

Got the point?