Re: Forking GNU libc locales

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 02:09:00AM -0800, Ossama Khayat wrote:
> --- Denis Barbier <barbier@linuxfr.org> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I am working on forking GNU libc locales for more than 5 months,
> > and have now something usable.
> [...]
>
> Hi,
> Since this is related to locales, I can't see anything related to RTL languages
> like Arabic or Hebrew or others.
> So, is it that these are coming later on for support in Debian or is there any
> thing we (as Arabic community) have to do about it?

AFAICT there is nothing to do at this level, how scripts are written is
in the scope of renderer engines like pango.

But I have a question about Arabic: ar_SA has collation rules different
from other ar_* locales.  Can you please tell me which one is right, ar_SA
or ar_EG?
In order to investigate this issue, you can write a file containing a list
of words, each word on a single line.  You sort it manually according to
Arabic collation rules (you may for instance get words from a good
dictionary) and compare
  LC_ALL=ar_SA sort file > file1.out
  LC_ALL=ar_EG sort file > file2.out
When collation rules are right, input and output are identical.

Denis