Re: [D-I] Using Ubuntu's Rosetta or translate.org's Pootle for handling some Debian translations?

* Christian Perrier [2005-01-20 20:31:55+0100]
> The Ubuntu project recently announced the Rosetta project while the
> Translate Toolkit team announced the Pootle project at about the same
> moment.
>
> Rosetta: https://launchpad.ubuntu.com/rosetta
> Pootle : http://pootle.wordforge.org
>
> Both projects have similar goals : offer a web interface to FOSS
> project localisation efforts. The principles are quite similar :
> developers or development teams "register" projects, upload the templates
> files to these projects and then wait for some translators to jump
> into the project and start producing translation files, as PO files.
>
> The advantage for translators is obvious : the interface is very
> simple and involved people can focus on the real work : deal with PO
> files, and just forget about "nasty" stuff such as dealing with
> various Revision Control Systems or reporting bugs in various bug
> tracking systems.

Concerning those "translate via web" systems, one thing which I'm not
comfortable with is that, they have weak support for team work.
Experiences from Turkish localization shows that I would rather prefer
an untranslated interface to an incorrect, poor translation which causes
serious misinterpretations (or at least, an amateaurish look).
Translation reviews are the most effective weapons to struggle with the
translation inconsistincies.  The mentioned web systems could help to
improve the translation stats, but I believe what we certainly need is
the features which help to ensure a certain quality in translations by
regulating the team communication (e.g. the system should be able to be
_integrated_ with the already existed l10n mail lists) and, by
introducing some "translation review" features (e.g.  much like as is
done in mediawiki of wikipedia).

Regards,

--
roktas