Re: [D-I] Using Ubuntu's Rosetta or translate.org's Pootle for handling some Debian translations?

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 08:31:55PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Both projects have similar goals : offer a web interface to FOSS
> project localisation efforts. The principles are quite similar :
> developers or development teams "register" projects, upload the templates
> files to these projects and then wait for some translators to jump
> into the project and start producing translation files, as PO files.

The Finnish localization uses a mailing list for proofreaders, they
want to read the text and quote the relevant parts and write their
comments. I tried posting only links to web pages with the
translation, but this was not liked.

> The advantage for translators is obvious : the interface is very
> simple and involved people can focus on the real work : deal with PO
> files, and just forget about "nasty" stuff such as dealing with
> various Revision Control Systems or reporting bugs in various bug
> tracking systems.

I have no problem with dealing with revision control systems, I had to
install and learn svn but hopefully a new system is not deployed every
year.

I do have a problem with projects changing to another host or moving
around otherwise, I need to hunt for the current address to checkout
from. If there is an easy way to find out the needed checkout address,
I find checking out, translating, sending a text version to
proofreaders, applying corrections and checkin in an easy way to work.

I find it is more work to get the PO-file from for example the l10n
status web pages, and then sending them to someone or to BTS.

--
Tapio Lehtonen
Tapio.Lehtonen@IKI.FI