Re: Status of the shadow package

Nikolai Prokoschenko wrote:
[snip]
> > Strings may have the same english wording, but are sometimes translated
> > differently, depending on the context.
>
> I hoped you'd ask :)
>
> I've asked this question some time ago:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2004/05/msg00001.html
>
> and have got the answer:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2004/05/msg00004.html
>
>     If there should be difference in the translation the same reasoning
>     would apply to the english strings
>     - -> seems to me that the right way to fix this is to change the
>     english strings to be more clear.

Which means you have to beg the upstream author to change to output of
his program without apparent reason (for him). Why should he care about
some random other program which happens to use the same string in a
different context?

> So I assume, this should be no problem after all? I mean, even if it's the
> case, we'd have a fuzzy string in a "merged" translation file, which has
> been considered an error all along...

AFAICS the translation database needs some means to find the preferred
translation for a given package in addition to the matching english
string.

Thiemo