Re: Status of the shadow package

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 12:03:55AM +0200, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > > Another point that needs to be considered is version control between releases:
> > > the stable distribution needs different translations from testing and
> > > unstable.
> > My idea of the whole includes that big database of strings, which will
> > include the extracted strings from packages' .pot-files. That also means,
> > that we can extract the strings from each distribution - if they are equal
> > - good, translators won't have much work. If they are different, the
> > strings are then added to the database and can get translated. Any greater
> > problem I'm missing? ;)
> Strings may have the same english wording, but are sometimes translated
> differently, depending on the context.

I hoped you'd ask :)

I've asked this question some time ago:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2004/05/msg00001.html

and have got the answer:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2004/05/msg00004.html

    If there should be difference in the translation the same reasoning
    would apply to the english strings
    - -> seems to me that the right way to fix this is to change the
    english strings to be more clear.

So I assume, this should be no problem after all? I mean, even if it's the
case, we'd have a fuzzy string in a "merged" translation file, which has
been considered an error all along...

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai@prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik@jabber.org