NEWS.debian translations

Matt Zimmerman and I would like to make it possible to translate NEWS.Debian so that it is practical to put important information in that file and have it displayed in a localized fashion when apt-listchanges runs. This is to avoid the proliferation of Debconf warnings/notes for things which are not of great importance. My question to you is: how can we set this up, and in what format would such a thing be of greatest utility? I assume po-files, but I'm not up on i18n. Thanks! Joe
P.S.: Please CC: me on any replies.