Re: Replacement of the locales package

Denis Barbier <barbier@linuxfr.org>:

> > The name is very questionable. Could you please replace it with
> > "eo_XX" for now, and with "eo" if that ever becomes possible?
>
> Makes sense, I'll do that in the belocs-locales-data package.
> Do you believe that an eo_EO alias should also be provided, or do
> you want only one eo_* locale available?

I think the eo_EO alias would be moderately useful.

> In order for this locale to be available, it must be added to
> /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED.  Are these entries correct?
>   eo_XX UTF-8
>   eo_XX.ISO-8859-3 ISO-8859-3

Yes. UTF-8 is definitely more popular nowadays.

> > http://rano.org/eo_XX
>
> Ok.  BTW did you file a bugreport to upstream bugzilla?

Er, no. What's the URL for that, please?

> Some remarks about your locale:
>  * In LC_IDENTIFICATION, language is the 2-letter ISO 639 language code.
>  * In LC_NAME, %d is not defined, it should certainly be %p instead,
>  * In LC_ADDRESS, lang_lib is the 3-letter abbreviation from ISO 639-2.
> Any objection against this patch?

No objection, but I'll have to trust you about changing %d to %p as I
don't understand LC_NAME.

I currently have rather a lot of locales with %d in name_fmt:

$ grep name_fmt /usr/share/i18n/locales/* | grep '<U0025><U0064>' | wc -l
110

Edmund