Re: Replacement of the locales package

At Mon, 25 Oct 2004 01:27:22 +0200,
Denis Barbier wrote:
> I am going to maintain my own version of locale files.  This package is
> called belocs-locales-data and available from
>   deb http://people.debian.org/~barbier/belocs unstable main
> It is Arch: all and has no dependencies (except debconf), and can then
> be installed on every system.
> My goal is to review all bugs sent to the BTS and upstream bugzilla,
> and apply requested changes in a timely manner if they look fine.
> And to demonstrate that there is no reason to have the locales package
> bound to libc6, having a separate source package drastically eases its
> maintenance.
> Here is the changelog entry.  More to coom soon.

My comments:

 - All patches are simply applied by you - I hope you review them.
   For example, eo_EO is questionable with its entries.

 - Note that I'm preparing glibc snapshot package for experimental
   distro because sarge is not released yet.  I'm spending to follow
   debian specific patches to the latest cvs.  It's nice to merge them
   with your work.

 - I added information about these locales:

>     + bz38_new_Serbian_locales
>       Add new sr_CS and sr_CS@Latn Serbian locales for Serbia and Montenegro.
>       Patch by Danilo Segan.
>     + debian-locale-eu_FR
>       Add new eu_FR locale.
>       Patch by Christian Perrier.

They're already under my review (sorry my lazyness, I'll work it).

>     + debian-locale-eo_EO
>       Add new eo_EO locale.
>       Patch by Robert Thomson and Edmund GRIMLEY

IIRC, it's still questionable; read BTS.

>     + debian-locale-no_NO
>       In order to provide a transition from nb_NO to no_NO, both must be
>       available for some time.  Some programs (like gettext) do not work
>       with aliases, so declare no_NO as a real locale.
>       Patch by Petter Reinholdtsen, with minor changes for belocs-locales-data.

It should be dropped after sarge, ping to pere.

>     + debian-locale-ru_RU
>       Change default charset for 'russian' in locale.alias from ISO-8859-5
>       to the more popular KOI8-R.
>       Patch by Alistair McKinstry.

Note that locale.alias is deprecating.  This patch is existed for
historical reason, and moreover I believe changing these entries are
questionable; because it loses backward compatibility for old
applications that use locale.alias file.  But I don't plan to drop it
because it's applied for a long time.

>     + debian-locales-supported
>       Add several ISO-8859-15 locales, and no_NO (this last addition should
>       belong to debian-locale-no_NO).
>       Patch by GOTO Masanori and Jeff Bailey.

IIRC, it should be dropped after sarge.

>     + bts235759_transliterate_german_quotes
>       In de_DE (resp. de_CH), transliterate <U201E> and <U201C>
>       quotes to <U00BB> and <U00AB> (resp. <U00AB> and <U00BB>).

I hope you re-read the entire thread.  You should behave as maintainer
with regard to all opinions.

>     + keep_sr_YU
>       Keep sr_YU and sr_YU@cyrillic locales until transition to sr_CS is over.

It'll be dropped after sarge.