Re: Localization framework

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 01:55:20PM +0200, Nikolai Prokoschenko wrote:

> > > This would mean a central repository for the packaging files - actually,
> > > a nice idea, but this must then be enforced. Anything else would be too
> > > much hassle... :(
> >
> > don't the script for d-i status pages alreadey check out (anonymously)
> > the .po and .pot files, and from different repo's (tasksel, base-config,
> > console-common, ...)?
>
> They do. But it is mostly done manually and only for the couple of
> packages, which are available this way - it is not applicable for _all_
> packages.

We could design an opt-in mecanism where packager can use tools to provide
their package to translators and grab translations in a semi-automated and
very easy way.

Then, make sure it gets adopted by some packagers, like the most active and
cooperative with translators. I'm sure some of them get tired of having to
manually deal with template-translation BR and would welcome such a solution.

The baseline is that it would have to be an opt-in solution to avoid the
issues raised by Grisu's system in the ddtp.

Once the framework and interface tools are there, we can make some lobbying
to get more packagers using it. But it sound rather idealistic to try to
design in one shoot a system which would deal with all kind of material in
all kind of packages with no manual intervention...

Bye, Mt.

--
C'est dégueulasse, y'a pas une meuf. C'est pas un temps à faire du surf !
    -- Les malpolis