Re: Debian Installer team seeking for translators : Serbian (sr), Croatian (hr), Hindi (hi), others

Christian Perrier said on Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 07:15:48AM +0200,:

 > I'm not really sure indeed as, sorry, I'm not really familiar with

We require glyph reordering and font subsitution.

Currently this involves  pango or equivalent KDE modules.  Can this be
achieved on the console?

The alternative is for dirty display.

 > The only thing I can tell is that including Arabic and Hebrew script
 > did not need any change. The writings are currently OK and only
 > need work

Yes, i have seen those scripts on the new installer.

 > on BIDI.....So, I'm pretty sure that indeed, having some Indic scripts
 > displayed wouldn't be a major problem....

Does  BIDI involve glyph  substitution?  If  so, adding  Indic support
will  only be  an issue  of adding  another module  or may  be, making
slight modifications to the code.

What fonts  does this use? (bdf  type1 ...) Any means  of testing font
rendering for the installer without actually having to do a install?

 > (I hope the term" subcontinent does not sound hurting....it is does
 > this is not intentional)?

Definitely not. The linguistic characterstics in Indic scripts extend
far beyond the boundaries of India.

 > India (I know there are several...some being official languages of
 > some states, often in southern India, but that's all...sorry for being
 > so ignorant)

Indic scripts with some kind of presence in IT world, In no particular order:-

1. Bengali
2. Hindi (official language of the Union)
3. Konkani (I'm well versed here)
4. Marathi
5. Gujarati
6. Malayalam (My lnguage)
7. Tamil
8. Kannada
9. Telegu
10. Oriya
11. Punjabi
12. Sanskrit

Of these,  2, 3,  4 and  12 use similar  (*almost* identical  script -
called  devanagari.  But all  languages  have  different Unicode  area
allotted to them.

--

  Mahesh T. Pai, LL.M.,
  'NANDINI', S. R. M. Road,