Re: Localization framework

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 22:35:30 +0200
barbier@linuxfr.org (Denis Barbier) wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 06:23:20PM +0200, Nikolai Prokoschenko wrote:
> [...]
> > BACKLINE: The package generating scripts could be patched so that
> > they query the database (which could be later generated from SVN
> > data) for translations automatically and put them into place. Should
> > be discussed futher.
>
> Consider a simple example: package foo-1.0-1 contains a xx.po file,
> which is not up-to-date.  Its translator commits a new version to the
> central SVN repository, but the maintainer saw a typo in this xx.po
> and fixed it before uploading foo-1.0-2.  Now there is a conflict
> between these 2 versions, how will you solve it?
>
> IMO your project is not realistic, we cannot take translated files
> away from maintainers's hands, so we should instead help translators
> to solve the conflict described above.

I think for po-debconf files we've already come a long way. With denis'
pages, a review process, my status-page, it's already quite easy to do
translations. I also wrote some (ugly/hackish) scripts that fetch
po-files from denis' page or send a RFR, bug-report, etc. These could be
perfected to have an even better translator-experience. But I don't
think it's necessary to start with one big repository.

What can be improved is some documentation, and indeed support for other
things like READMEs, Changelogs, manpages, NEWS, notes.

I must confess though that also my evil plan is to one day have a
alternate dpkg format where translations can be add to a deb without
disturbing the main piece or the maintainers signature on it. The
translations could then separately be signed by a trusted translator who
is responsible for the correctness of the translation.

But for now I think it's best to first put ones energy in getting
READMEs, Changelogs, manpages, NEWS, notes i18n-ed. And to make some
nicer scripts (with a few free days ahead I will try to work on that).

grts Tim