Re: Nice changes to po-debconf translation status pages

Hi,

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
(2003/09/11 17:48)

>IMHO, translating debconf templates (which *are* user interaction
>stuff) should have more priority than translating package descriptions
>(which are currently used only very partially)...

I agree.

Howver, when I speak about priority, I have to mention about Mojibake.
It is more important to ensure that Mojibake never occur.

To tell the truth, I don't like translating very basic packages into
Japanese, because very basic softwares must work very reliably while
Japanese-displaying environment is not always available.  Though there
are special softwares (such as kon and jfbterm) which enables
displaying
Japanese characters on console, I think I cannot hope Linux console
itself
will have Japanese-displaying ability in several years.  Since core
people
in Linux and XFree86 are mainly European-language speakers, they tend
think Japanese font is too large to be supported.

At Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:25:25 +0200,
Martin Quinson wrote:
> Have a look at
>   http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po-debconf/ja
> Japaneese is only 17% translated in that area. 664 strings are translated
> (from 3820). This page also repports that you personnaly translated 4
> templates which are now not up to date anymore (alsa-driver, apt-build,
> base-config and debconf)...

Please don't compare the translation rate of 8bit languages and
multibyte
languages from the same viewpoint.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>