Re: I18N (Multibyte Enablation) of debconf

Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> However, I understand your basic idea that it is better to purge out
> the width table from debconf.  How do you think about the points of
> (b) and (c)?  I.e., do you want debconf to be portable?  Do you want
> debconf package to be architecture-independent?

I prefer to keep debconf reasonably portable, and arch-indep.

> > I haven't a chance of being able to maintain the code in Debconf::Wrap.
> > If debconf does use it we will have to come up with some mechanism for
> > you to maintain it, either a shared subversion repository or putting it
> > in a separate package which debconf could use.
>
> Either will be OK for me.  Which do you prefer?  (If a separate package
> way is taken, the problem (c) above will be solved.  However, since
> it might not be able to share $Debconf::Encoding::charmap, interface
> might not be compatible to Text::Wrap.)

I think I prefer the idea of a separate package. I think that making it
use the same interface as Text::Wrap, as you have, is a good idea. I
also think you'd do well to make the separate package as general-purpose
as you can, so it is not tied to debconf and could be used by other perl
programs that need to word-wrap i18nized text. Put it on CPAN, etc.

--
see shy jo