Re: Starting a new language

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 07:49:16PM -0300, Andre Luis Lopes wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 07:10:15PM +0100, Michael Bramer wrote:
> [snip]
> > we have only pt_BR now. And I don't know any effort.
> >
> > How differnence is pt_BT and pt_PT. It is usefull to fill the pt_PT db
> > with the pt_BR translations interacted, and you make only a review
> > process and make some changes (and convert pt_BR to pt_PT)?
>
> Please, don't try to make pt_PT and pt_BR be the same thing. I'm
> currently having a hard work translating lots of debconf templates to
> pt_BR and lots of things are different between these two languages.

I will not make pt_PT and pt_BR the same thing.

But I can copy all pt_BR translations to pt_PT and the pt_PT translators
must only check this and change some words and don't need begin with a
empty translation...

> Actually, for your information, lots of campanies in Brazil didn't
> wanted to use OpenOffice.org until it got official pt_BR support (it had
> only pt_PT support). So, it would be better if pt_PT could be managed as
> a separated language. Sure, we could help each other and exchange
> information, but let's keep the two languages as two separated things.

Ok, I see, the difference is to big.

To start pt_PT, I need a translated guide-XX.txt to guide-pt_PT.txt

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
"root, god... What is difference?"  --- Jochen Lillich in dasr