Re: lists.debian.org de-localization

Hi,

From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Subject: Re: lists.debian.org de-localization (Re: automatically-generated ISO-8859-1 characters in mulbibyte webpages)
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 16:10:02 +0900

> This is a fairly small sample (about 100 subscribers, 25 regular
> posters).  However, the Russian spam I've seen (isn't it funny how you
> can identify spam even though you can't read the language it's written
> in?) invariably fails either the addressee tests (implicit, too many),
> the known spam software test, or the HTML-only test.  So (FWIW) I've
> disabled the 8-bit test and so far the Russian subscribers are happy.

IMO, in such a case, allowing raw 8bit mails is better (i.e., its merit
is larger than its demerit) than disabling them.

Again, speaking about lists.debian.org, my original idea is to assume
all 8bit raw characters to be ISO-8859-1, though I don't know this is
technically possible or not.  In this case, Russian people will be
annoyed browsing lists.debian.org pages.

If it is possible to have "assumption encoding" for each mailing list,
that of debian-russian list will be KOI8-R, that of debian-chinese-gb
will be GB2312, and so on, and all others ISO-8859-1.

I also hope there are some UTF-8 filters.  (There seems a writer
who uses UTF-8 name (From:) in debian-esperanto.)

However, I don't know at all about MHonArc....

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/