Re: khmer and debian

Hi,

At Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:21:25 +0900,
Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:

> What encoding (charset) do you usually use for Khmer?
> If you use UTF-8 or other encodings which Debian and
> Linux already supports, you don't have to care about
> this region.  However, if you have your local popular
> charset, you may want to add the support of the charset
> for GNU libc and XFree86.  Now, I assume you use UTF-8.

I found that there IS a local Khmer encoding but it is
different (incompatible) with Unicode.

http://www.bauhahnm.clara.net/Khmer/Welcome.html#ODDENCODING

Since GNU libc use Unicode (UCS-4) internally, encodings which
are incompatible (inconvertable) to Unicode cannot be used.
(You have to supply a mapping table to Unicode to add a support
of an encoding.)  Thus, the local Khmer encoding cannot be
supported by Debian.  You must use UTF-8.

I heard that BSD people are developing more flexible locale
system which can handle non-Unicode-compatible encodings.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/