Re: khmer and debian

Hi,

At Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:14:57 +0900,
jean-christophe helary wrote:

> i may have asked for that a while ago. but here i go again. i am looking for khmer support for debian. i see that thai is being supported but i never heard of khmer. although both languages use similar writting systems they are still very different.
>
> any idea ?

What encoding (charset) do you usually use for Khmer?
If you use UTF-8 or other encodings which Debian and
Linux already supports, you don't have to care about
this region.  However, if you have your local popular
charset, you may want to add the support of the charset
for GNU libc and XFree86.  Now, I assume you use UTF-8.

Next, you will need to determine a name for locale.  Its format
is, xx_YY[.ZZ] where xx is two lowercase letters from ISO 639
language code and YY is two uppercase letters from ISO 3166
country code.  ZZ is optional part to express encoding.

Here, "km" is ISO 639 language code for Khmer
http://www.ethnologue.com/iso639/codes.asp

and "KH" is ISO 3166 country code for Cambodia. (right?)
http://www.din.de/gremien/nas/nabd/iso3166ma/codlstp1/en_listp1.html

Thus, Khmer in Cambodia using UTF-8 is

   km_KH.UTF-8

or just

   km_KH

(in case UTF-8 is the most popular encoding for Khmer).

The above is a basis for all softwares.  Next stage is to add
Khmer support to GNU libc and XFree86.

At first, you will need to write locale definition file for GNU
libc.  It defines various locale-specific things such as encoding,
how to express date/time, currency, and so on.  The files are
located in /usr/share/i18n/locales/* for various locales.
See locale(5) for detail.

Next, you will need fonts for XFree86.  I think XFree86 iso10646-1
fonts are good candidates where you may want to add Khmer characters.
(They may have already have Khmer characters.  I didn't check.)
In this area, I imagine Thai people can help you because Khmer
has combining characters like Thai.  Please ask
Chanop Silpa-Anan <chanop@debian.org>.
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan (http://linux.thai.net/~thep/) may
also help you.  XFree86 i18n mailing list may be helpful, also.
Though I don't know well, Pango (http://www.pango.org) people
will be interested in adding Khmer suppport.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/