Re: No EuroSign input in X

Somtimes its mostly a font issue. For example, I have to switch to a iso-8859-15 encoded font to be able to see the Euro symbol that I input. The question mark that you see often means that the font does not contain the Euro glyph.

Cheers,
Andre.

Tim Dijkstra wrote:

Hi,

I thought this was a real issue for i18n, if not direct me somewhere else.
I'm totally lost now. I read the euro-howto but can't get any further. I got it working in a virtual console, but X is still a problem.
This is what I got so far.

Keyboard configuration:
    $ xmodmap -pke | grep -i euro
    keycode  26 = e E EuroSign cent
So that should be all right... Also when I check what events take place when I enter AltGr-e with xev:
    KeyRelease event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x2000001,
    root 0x31, subw 0x0, time 4284761832, (171,-11), root:(1145,717),
    state 0x2000, keycode 26 (keysym 0x20ac, EuroSign), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 characters:  "€"
I get the correct result.
Also a file with the euro symbol cat-ed to the screen is ok:
    $ cat /usr/share/doc/euro-support/examples/characters
    This is an euro
    €
    and this is a cent
    ¢

But if I try to input the symbol on the command line of konsole or any other app, I get
    $ ?
(that's a question mark....)

Any help would be great!

Tim